Installing ConfigMgr 2007 onto a Windows Server 2008 based server can be a challenge. Having recently been through the process for my own lab environment I thought Iâ€™d share the process in the hope that it will save you some time when you need to create this configuration. Before you begin you will need to gather the following components:
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise RTM (x86) and Licence Key
- SQL Server 2005 and Licence Key
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007 and Licence Key
You will also need to download the following components:
- Microsoft WebDAV Extension for IIS 7.0 (x86) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=036269fa-0040-4ccd-ad3d-78da1ee132fb&DisplayLang=en
- Windows Software Update Services 3.0 SP1: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/bb466190.aspx
- SQL 2005 SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=d07219b2-1e23-49c8-8f0c-63fa18f26d3a&DisplayLang=en
- SQL critical update 934458: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934458
- ConfigMgr 2007 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5AAE62E8-4B7F-4AF7-BE01-AEFAA4BF059A&displaylang=en
Step 1 â€“ Install Windows Server 2008
Install Windows Server 2008 (x86) Enterprise on a machine with the following minimum specification:
- Memory: 2GB
- Hard Disk 2 x 70GB disks
This could be a physical machine or a virtual machine based on Virtual PC, Virtual Server or Hyper-V
Step 2 â€“ Configure Windows Server 2008
Once the Windows Server 2008 installation has completed, log in as Administrator and carry out the following initial tasks:
1. Set a static IP address for the server
2. Unbind IPv6 from the network card (this is not a full fix for removing IPv6 – look out for a future post on this subject)
3. Enable the AD role as a new domain controller for your chosen domain (not required for ConfigMgr – it’s just that all my lab machines are DCs)
Step 3 â€“ Add Additional Windows Server 2008 Roles and Features
Additional Windows Server 2008 roles and features (through Control Panel > Programs and Features) are required to support the ConfigMgr 2007 installation:
1. Add the Windows Deployment Services (WDS) role with default settings (do not configure WDS as ConfigMgr will do that later)
2. Add the IIS role with the following settings:
a. Add ASP.Net Role. Accept defaults.
b. Add ASP (required for ConfigMgr Reporting Point to function – thanks to Jens Ole Kragh for pointing this out)
c. Add Windows Authentication
d. Add Static Content
e. Add IIS 6 Management Compatibility and all of the sub-components of it.
3. Add the Remote Differential Compression feature
4. Add the BITS Server Extensions feature
5. Install the Microsoft WebDAV Extension for IIS 7.0 (x86) (location for download listed at the beginning of this article)
a. Use the instructions at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431377(TechNet.10).aspx to configure WebDav.
You will need to follow Steps 4 and 5 in this document under the section â€œInstall and Configure WebDAVâ€
Step 3 â€“ Add Additional Non Windows Server 2008 Components
Now that Windows Server 2008 is configured to install ConfigMgr 2007 we now have to add some additional software services for use by ConfigMgr 2007
1. Install Windows Software Update Services 3.0 SP1 32bit (location for download listed at the beginning of this article)
2. Install SQL 2005
3. Install SQL 2005 SP2 (location for download listed at the beginning of this article)
a. Stop the SQLServer service in preparation for SP2 installation. This is to avoid a system restart.
b. As suggested by SQL SP2 setup wizard, launch sqlprov
c. Run services.msc and re-start the SQL 2005 service.
d. Add a domain account to the SQL sysadmin role. This is unique requirement in Server 2008 environment.
4. Install SQL Critical Update 934458 (location for download listed at the beginning of this article)
Step 4 â€“ Install ConfigMgr 2007
Now we are ready to install ConfigMgr 2007 â€“ this is a two stage process to first install ConfigMgr 2007 RTM and then apply ConfigMgr 2007 SP1 â€“ if you have access to the SP1 slipstreamed version of ConfigMgr 2007 then you can skip step 2 below.
1. Install ConfigMgr 2007
a. Extend the schema by running the \smssetup\bin\i386\extadsch utility. Run this under Enterprise Administrator credentials and review c:\extadsch.log for results.
b. Either use an Internet connection (for auto-download) or a pre-staged folder for setup update files required by ConfigMgr setup application.
2. Install ConfigMgr 2007 SP1 (location for download listed at the beginning of this article)
a. Either use Internet connection (for auto-download) or a pre-staged folder for setup update files required by ConfigMgr SP1 setup application.
3. After installation, add the PXE service point and Reporting Point site system roles.