How to take ClamWin Free Antivirus with you on a USB pen drive, CD or DVD
Looking forÂ freeÂ Open SourceÂ AntivirusÂ for Windows? DownloadÂ ClamWin Free Antivirusand getÂ freeÂ virus scanning andÂ freeÂ virus definition updates.ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 and Vista.
Anti-virus software tends to be big and bloated, use plenty of RAM and system resources, and generally clog up your system. Worse is that increasingly, anti-virus makers make it difficult to buy anti-virus software by itself, and include firewalls, anti-spyware and other software with it. If you want a clean, mean piece of anti-virus software that does just one thing — protect against viruses — you’ll want this program.
You can take ClamWin Free Antivirus with you on a USB pen drive, CD or DVD
- Install ClamWin on a host PC with Windows XP or higher
- Copy all the files from “c:\program files\clamwin” to a “clamwin” folder on a removable drive.Â unins000.exe and unins000.dat files are not needed
- Copy the following files:
from “c:\program files\clamwin\bin\Microsoft.VC80.CRT” to the “clamwin\bin” folder on your removable drive.
- Copy thisÂ ClamWin.confÂ (right-click to Save) file to “clamwin\bin” folder on the removable drive (note Standalone=1 setting)
- Create the folowing foldres on the removable drive:
- Copy the database files (main.cvd and daily.cvd) from your database directory on the host PC (default location is “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\db”) to the “clamwin\db” folder on the removable drive.
- That’s it, you can now run clamwin.exe from clamwin folder on your removable drive.
- It may take a while to load ClamWin.exe depending on the removable drive speed
- If you use ClamWin Free Antivirus on a read-only drive (CD or DVD) your need to burn the latest database before use and won’t be able to change preferences.