Installing from CD
I downloaded the 7.10 Server CD and burnt it. Booting from it gave me a text based installation. All standard stuff. At the end of the installation I chose LAMP, SSH and Samba servers as additional modules to add on.
Testing the network
I then used ping to test the LAN and make sure that the Server was allocated an IP from the Routerâ€™s DHCP.Â ping 192.168.1.1 showed the Router alive andÂ ping www.google.com showed Internet connection working.
I then usedÂ sudo apt-get update to update the package list andÂ sudo apt-get upgrade to upgrade/update my installation. Only two packages were selected
All is going well so far, the next step is to get Webmin installed.
As I was going to be doing a lot of â€˜rootâ€™ work, I set up a root password usingÂ sudo passwd root and then logged in as root. To prepare for installation of Webmin I had to download and install the required support libraries, which I did with:
apt-get install openssl libauthen-pam-erl libio-pty-perl libmd5-perl
Peace of cake. The libraryÂ libnet-ssleay-perl is no longer available. What to do? I foundÂ here that the version should be 1.30-1 â€“ so it should be available. A bit of googling later and I found a download link for this version. So I typed:
to download the packages andÂ dpkg -i libnet-ssleay-perl_1.30-1_i386.deb to install it. Phew! That was close â€“ didnâ€™t think Iâ€™d get it going.
Then to get Webmin, I used:
To install Webmin, I usedÂ dpkg -i webmin_1.350_all.deb and, as promised, it said:
Webmin install complete. You can now login to https://Server:10000/ as root with your root password, or as any user who can use sudo to run commands as root.
â€œServerâ€ is the name that I chose to call the server â€“ now nobody said that I was imaginative!Â Â Â Then, I noticed from the Webmin site that the latest version was 1.370 (dâ€™oh!) so I am going to have to update it once I get in. I should have downloaded webmin_1.370_all.deb instead.
Anyway, trying to access Webmin across the LAN using https://server:10000 failed with a â€™server not foundâ€™ message. Wonder what the IP of the server is?
Hmmmâ€¦ A small bit of research later and I am no wiser as to what linux CLI command will tell me! Ho hum. Ah yes â€“ log on to the Router and look in the DHCP client list to see which IP has been allocated to Server. Got it â€“ itâ€™s 192.168.1.8.
TypingÂ https://192.168.1.8:10000 into a browser (Firefox) takes me to the login page and I can log straight into Webmin â€“ yay! Now this is already one step further than before with 7.04 Feisty. Webmin opens up with some system details and a menu to the left. Clicking on Webmin in that menu and then Webmin Configuration I can choose Upgrade Webmin (Webmin>Webmin Configuration>Upgrade Webmin). I leave the â€œLatest version from www.webmin.comâ€ selected and click theÂ Upgrade Webmin button. It downloads and installs successfully. At the bottom of the page Webmin tells me that there are 1 updates for this version and I follow the click here link to download it. It is the acl (Access Control List) module and it donwloads and installs flawlessly. Now that was easy. Just to check, I click on System Information in the main menu and it tells me that I am indeed running 1.370. Success.
Samba file sharing
1. I go toÂ Servers > Samba Windows File Sharing.
2. Then, I click onÂ Create a New File Share and fill in the details as follows: Share name = public, Home Directories Share = unselected, Directory to share = /home/public, Automatically create directory = yes, Create with owner = root, Available = yes, Browseable = yes, Share comment = Fileserver stuff.
3. To make sure everybody has got permissions to this folder/share, I click onÂ Others>File Manager and navigate to/home. Damn, Firefox tells me I have to download a plugin, now I know have Flash installed so I am guessing it is either Shockwave or Java, prob. Java. OK, letâ€™s do it. Yup â€“ it was Java.
4. I click on the Info button and check Read, Write and List boxes are ticked on User, Group and Other columns.
5. Lastly, Iâ€™ve got to make sure the configuration file is saying the right things. So I navigate to /etc/samba and click on smb.conf and then Edit. A little Java applet window pops up and I can edit the file here â€“ cool, huh? So, what am I looking for? Looking forÂ ; security = userÂ I can now change it to ; security = share.
6. Now I can scroll down to the end of the file, and change:
comment = Fileserver stuff
path = /home/public
comment = public
path = /home/public
public = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
force user = nobody
force group = nogroup
I then click on the Save & Close button. Phew - nearly there.
Right. To check I am going to be part of the same Workgroup as trhe rest of my LAN, I click on Servers>Samba Windows File Sharing>Windows Networking in the Global Configuration section. Here I can set the Workgroup to MSHOME and click Save. That should be it â€“ now to test the share from Windowsâ€¦
Nah â€“ it is asking for user name and password to get into the share and it shouldnâ€™t do that. Interestingly, from another Linux box I can write to this directory â€“ no problem. Hmm a small problem to solve. I shall be back.
Another dumb mistake easily solved. In the instructions above, you should notice a line in the smb.conf file that now reads â€Â ; security = share â€œ. Remove the semi-colon at the front of the line! It all works beautifully now.