Websense v6.1, v6.1.1, and v6.2 software can be updated directly to Websense v6.3.1 software.Â For a successful update, follow the instructions below.
- ToÂ download the installer, log ontoÂ www.mywebsense.com/, select Downloads and Updates, and select the appropriate installer for your OS and language.
- Log on to the installation machine with domain and local administrator privileges.
- Close all applications and stop any antivirus software.
- Websense services must be running when the update process begins. (If you have set the Recovery properties of any of your Websense services to restart the service on failure, you must change this setting to Take No Action before updating.)
- If Websense Enterprise components are distributed, youÂ must run the Websense installer onÂ all machines where you have a current Websense component installed.
- Always run the installer on the Policy Server machine first. The Policy Server must be successfully updated and running before you update or install other Websense components in your network.
- The installer automatically detects the integration.
- You must use the same language and character set for the update as you did for the existing Websense installation.
- If you want to install or update Websense Reporting Tools, youÂ must use the same installer you use to update other Websense components. All installed Websense componentsÂ must be at the same version.
- Beginning in v6.3, Websense updates Filtering and Reporting together. Earlier versions of Websense software require running the update a second time to update Websense Reporter.
- After installation is complete, reboot the machine.
When you update Websense components, be aware of the following configuration details:
- Your current Websense Subscription Key remains the same.
- Your Websense Enterprise Manager password remains the same.
- Any custom URLs you have added remain as you defined them.
- Any policy settings you made in the previous version remain the same.
- If the updated version of Websense software includes new default policies or settings, the update process excludes these. This allows you to keep your pre-existing policies and settings intact.
Websense v6.3.1 supports the following operating systems and versions:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition (32-bit), or the same with SP1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 with SP3 or higher
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 or 4: AS, ES, or WS; Red Hat Linux 9
- Sun Solaris 9 or 10
Websense v6.3.1 software is highly flexible and scalable, designed to meet the Web filtering needs for all sizes of networks. System requirements for deploying Websense v6.3.1 software vary greatly, and depend on many factors. These factors include:
- Network size and configuration
- Volume of Internet traffic on the network
- Websense components that are installed