To address this problem, you can either give the machine a longer host name, and then reinstall Websense Express, or manually create a self-signed SSL certificate, and then restart the Apache Web Server, as described below.
- Open a Windows command prompt (Start > Run > cmd).
- Use the following command to navigate to the Apache installation directory:
cd \Program Files\Websense\apache\bin
- From this directory, enter the following commands in the order given:
- To generate a private RSA key, enter theÂ openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024 command. When prompted, enter a pass phrase. Make a note of the value you enter here, as you will need it in stepÂ c.
- Use theÂ copy server.key server.key.orig to make a backup copy of the key file.
- To process the key, enter theÂ openssl rsa -in server.key.orig -out server.key command. When prompted, enter the pass phrase created in stepÂ a.
- To create a self-signed certificate, enter theÂ openssl req -config “C:\Program Files\Websense\apache\conf\ssl\openssl.cnf” -new -key server.key -out server.csr command. You will be prompted for information that will be included in the certificate.
- To create a certificate valid for 365 days, enter theÂ openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in server.csr -signkey server.key -out server.crt command. Change the value of the “-days” parameter to change the amount of time that the certificate is valid.
- Enter theÂ cd \Program Files\Websense\apache\conf\ssl\ssl.crt command to change to the “conf\ssl\ssl.crt” subdirectory.
- To move the “server.crt” file to the “apache\bin” directory, use theÂ move “C:\Program Files\Websense\apache\bin\server.crt” server.crt command.
- To change to the “conf\ssl\ssl.key” subdirectory, use theÂ cd \Program Files\Websense\apache\conf\ssl\ssl.key command.
- To move the “server.key” file to the “apache\bin” directory, use theÂ move “C:\Program Files\Websense\apache\bin\server.key” server.key command.
- Restart the Apache2Websense service.
- Open the Windows Services dialog box (open the Windows Control Panel and go toÂ Administrative Tools > Services).
- Right-click onÂ Apache2Websense.
- SelectÂ Restart from the pop-up menu.
More information on SSL certificates for Apache is available at:Â httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html