OSPF offers the following features, that are found in a number of routing protocols:
- A standards-based routing protocol that works is very interoperable between different vendors routers and firewalls
- Supports variable length subnet masks (VLSM), making it a classless routing protocols
- Authentication of routing updates are supported
- Route redistribution is supported between different routing protocols
- OSPF works well in point to point and point to multipoint, broadcast or non-broadcast configurations
- OSPF also offers a number of OSPF-specific features such as stub areas, virtual links, and OSPF on demand circuits.