Android Development Tools (ADT) is a plugin for the Eclipse IDE that is designed to give you a powerful, integrated environment in which to build Android applications.
ADT extends the capabilities of Eclipse to let you quickly set up new Android projects, create an application UI, add components based on the Android Framework API, debug your applications using the Android SDK tools, and even export signed (or unsigned) APKs in order to distribute your application.
Downloading the ADT Plugin
Use Update Manager feature of your Eclipse installation to install the latest revision of ADT on your development computer.
|Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede)
- Start Eclipse, then selectÂ Help >Â Software Updates…. In the dialog that appears, click theÂ Available Software tab.
- ClickÂ Add Site…
- In the Add Site dialog that appears, enter this URL in the “Location” field:
Note: If you have trouble acquiring the plugin, try using “http” in the Location URL, instead of “https” (https is preferred for security reasons).
- Back in the Available Software view, you should see the plugin listed by the URL, with “Developer Tools” nested within it. Select the checkbox next to Developer Tools and clickÂ Install…
- On the subsequent Install window, “Android DDMS” and “Android Development Tools” should both be checked. ClickÂ Next.
- Read and accept the license agreement, then clickÂ Finish.
- Restart Eclipse.
Eclipse 3.5 (Galileo)
- Start Eclipse, then selectÂ Help >Â Install New Software.
- In the Available Software dialog, clickÂ Add….
- In the Add Site dialog that appears, enter a name for the remote site (for example, “Android Plugin”) in the “Name” field.In the “Location” field, enter this URL:
Note: If you have trouble acquiring the plugin, you can try using “http” in the URL, instead of “https” (https is preferred for security reasons).
- Back in the Available Software view, you should now see “Developer Tools” added to the list. Select the checkbox next to Developer Tools, which will automatically select the nested tools Android DDMS and Android Development Tools. ClickÂ Next.
- In the resulting Install Details dialog, the Android DDMS and Android Development Tools features are listed. ClickÂ Next to read and accept the license agreement and install any dependencies, then clickÂ Finish.
- Restart Eclipse.
Download ADT Plugin for Eclipse – Android Development Tools