Download jEdit – A programmer’s text editor written in Java
jEdit is a mature programmer’s text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it. Todownload, install, and set up jEdit as quickly and painlessly as possible, go to theÂ Quick Start page.
While jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of theÂ GPL 2.0.
The jEdit core, together with a large collection ofÂ plugins is maintained by aÂ world-wide developer team.
Some of jEdit’s features include:
- Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows.
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Dozens of macros and plugins available.
- Plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the “plugin manager” feature.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 130 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Word wrap.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
- Every other feature, both basic and advanced, you would expect to find in a text editor.
- Combines the best functionality of Unix, Windows and MacOS text editors.
- Runs on any operating system with a Java 2 version 1.3 or higher virtual machine – this includes MacOS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows.
- Efficient keyboard shortcuts for everything
- Comprehensive online help
- Unlimited undo/redo
- Copy and paste with an unlimited number of clipboards (known as “registers”)
- Register contents are saved across editing sessionsÂ (4.2)
- “Kill ring” automatically remembers previously deleted textÂ (4.2)
- Rich set of keyboard commands for manipulating entire words, lines and paragraphs at a time
- “Markers” for remembering positions in files to return to later
- Marker locations are saved across editing sessions
- Any number of editor windows may be open, each window may be split into several areas, each area can view a different file. Alternatively, different locations in one file can be viewed in more than one area
- Multiple open windows and split windows are remembered between editing sessionsÂ (4.2)
- Rectangular selection
- Multiple selection (sometimes known as “discontinuous” or “additive” selection) for manipulating several chunks of text at once
- Word wrap
Download:Java-based installer2.7 MiB(For any operating system)
Windows Installer2.9 MiB
Mac OS X package6.9 MiB
Debian package3.6 MiB
Slackware package3.6 MiB
User’s guide0.5 MiB(PDF with A4 paper, 144 pages)
User’s guide0.5 MiB(PDF with US letter paper, 150 pages)
Source code2.0 MiB
Latest posts by Gishore James (see all)
- Microsoft Office for iPhone – Changing Strategy of Microsoft - June 16, 2013
- Guidelines for International websites from Google - June 13, 2013
- Google is to Change the rankings of smartphone search results - June 12, 2013