avast! Free Antivirus represents the best free antivirus protection currently available on the market. This edition is FREE OF CHARGE for non-commercial & home use.
avast! Free Antivirus is a free virusscanner. After registration you get
to update (virus definitions and program) it for free for about a year.
After that, you simply register again and you get to use the program for
a year (and so on).
avast! Free Antivirus includes the following components:
- On Demand Scanner – with Skinnable Simple Interface – just select what do you want to scan in which way and press the Play button.
- On Access Scanner – resident scanning of all files being opened, read and written and behavior blocker monitoring dangerous actions of viruses.
- E-mail scanner easily integrates with most mail clients and it checks both incoming and outgoing mails, it provides heuristic analysis of mail content to protect against new Worms.
- Network Shield – scans traffic for malicious content – lightweight Firewall.
- Resident protection for IM programs (e.g. MSN Messenger, ICQ) and P2P programs (e.g. Kazaa, DirectConnect).
- Boot Time Scanner – scans disks in the same way and in the same time as Windows CHKDSK does (on NT/2000/XP only).
- Explorer Scanner – right click on the object allows you to scan it.
- Screen Saver Scanner – scans PC during your coffee breaks.
- Virus Chest – safety isolated folder to store infected, suspicious and even some system files – to restore them.
Avast 5.0 New Features:
Antivirus and anti-spyware engine
State of the art scanning engine provides reliable protection against viruses, spyware and other forms of malicious software.
Real time anti-rootkit protection
Unique “on access” technology checks all kernel-mode drivers that the operating system is loading for signs of rootkit behavior. This enables even unknown rootkits to be detected and stopped before they can do any damage.
When a suspicious executable is encountered (during both on-demand and on-access scanning), avast! is able to emulate the programâ€™s code in an isolated environment.
Starting with version 5.0, avast! features a new heuristics engine designed to proactively detect malware undetectable with normal definitions. The heuristics engine is able to cover both binary (executable) and script malware.
avast! Intelligent Scanner
Can reduce the number of required file scans by up to 80% through a white list of proven safe applications. Files identified as safe are not rescanned unless they change.
New Silent/Gaming Mode automatically detects full-screen applications and disables pop-ups and other on-screen notifications without degrading security.
avast! users have voluntarily translated avast! into more than 30 languages.