TortoiseSVN is an easy-to-use SCM / source control software for Microsoft Windows and possibly the best standaloneÂ Subversion client there is. It is implemented as a Windows shell extension, which makes it integrate seamlessly into the Windows explorer. Since it’s not an integration for a specific IDE you can use it with whatever development tools you like.
It’s not only web and software developers who can benefit. Another advantage of this shell integration is that it can be used by people who don’t have all the development tools installed, for example translators, doc writers
As a Subversion client, TortoiseSVN has all the features of Subversion itself, including:
- Most current CVS features.
- Directories, renames, and file meta-data are versioned.
- Commits are truly atomic.
- Branching and tagging are cheap (constant time) operations.
- Efficient handling of binary files.