Google is again fully up and running in China after a row in which authorities accused the US Internet giant of illegally spreading pornographic content, the firm’s outgoing regional chief said on Monday

Kai-fu Lee, who has stepped down as Google Greater China president, said his resignation had nothing to do with the row, adding he had delayed his departure for two months to handle the crisis, which he said was now “over”.

The government “recognised Google’s positive attitude” and “very good work” to eliminate pornographic content, and “therefore permitted (Google) to restore all of the services,” he told reporters.

China had accused Google of illegally spreading pornographic content as part of a wider crackdown on what authorities say is unhealthy Internet content. Google’s sites have been intermittently blocked in recent months.

Lee, 47, had launched a new company aimed at helping young Chinese entrepreneurs develop Internet and mobile computing technology. He has so far raised 115 million dollars.

Post By Editor (2,827 Posts)

Website: →

Connect