Find your current IP address and whether it isÂ static orÂ dynamic:
- Open WindowsÂ Start menu.
- SelectÂ Run. Type:Â command and clickÂ OK.
- At the blinking cursor, type:Â ipconfig /all and press Enter.
- Look for these entries near the end of the list:
-Â Dhcp Enabled. No means your IP address is static. Yes means it is dynamic. -Â IP Address. This is your current IP address.
- To exit, at the blinking cursor, type:Â exit and press Enter.
If your current IP address is:
- Static, then make note of the IP address. You need the IP address when you open ports in your router or firewall.
- Dynamic, then assign a static IP address instead.