If you want to sync content between your Windows phone and your computer, you must download and install Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) 6.1. WMDC is compatible only with Windows 7 and Windows Vista; if you run Windows XP or earlier, you will need to download Microsoft ActiveSync.
Before you download Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1, check the system requirements listed here.
Download Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1
To find out whether your version of Windows 7 or Windows Vista is 32-bit or 64-bit, clickÂ Start, right-clickÂ Computer, and then clickÂ Properties
You can use Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 only with phones running Windows Mobile 2003 or later. (See list of compatible operating systems.) ActiveSync and Windows Mobile Device Center won’t work with Windows Embedded CE 4.2 or 5.0, Pocket PC 2002, or Smartphone 2002 devices.
- 1To see which Windows Mobile operating system you’re using, do one of the following:
- â€¢If your phone has a touch screen, clickÂ StartÂ >Â SettingsÂ >Â SystemÂ tab >Â About.
- â€¢If your phone doesn’t have a touch screen, clickÂ StartÂ >Â SettingsÂ >Â About.
- 2Â To sync content to any of these devices, you must use a USB or serial cable and your computer’s Internet connection and File Explorer.You must use a USB cable to connect your phone to your computer the first time you use Windows Mobile Device Center to sync.
Compatible versions of Outlook
To sync your e-mail, contacts, tasks, and notes from your computer, you must use Microsoft Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, Office Outlook 2007, or Office Outlook 2010.
Windows Mobile Device Center key updates
- â€¢Information Rights Management (IRM) activation automatically configures your Windows Phone to open IRM-protected documents and files.
- â€¢Certificate enrollment acquires certificates through the computer that your Windows Phone is connected to.
- â€¢Product registration enables you to register your Windows Phone and get connected to information and offers available for your phone.
Compatible operating systems
Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 works only with the following versions of the Windows operating system:
- â€¢Windows 7 Enterprise
- â€¢Windows 7 Ultimate
- â€¢Windows 7 Professional
- â€¢Windows 7 Home Premium
- â€¢Windows 7 Starter
- â€¢Windows Vista Ultimate
- â€¢Windows Vista Enterprise
- â€¢Windows Vista Business
- â€¢Windows Vista Home Premium
- â€¢Windows Vista Home Basic
- â€¢Windows Server 2008
Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 works only with the following versions of the Windows Mobile operating system:
- â€¢Windows Mobile 6.5
- â€¢Windows Mobile 6.1
- â€¢Windows Embedded CE 6.0
- â€¢Windows Mobile 6
- â€¢Windows Mobile 5.0 with Messaging and Security Feature Pack
- â€¢Windows Mobile 5.0
- â€¢Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition
- â€¢Windows Mobile 2003