In addition to acting as a Web server, IIS can act as an FTP server. The FTP service is not installed by default on IIS. Therefore, to use IIS as an FTP server, you must install the FTP service.
To set up an FTP server using IIS
- Click theÂ StartÂ button, clickÂ Control Panel, and then clickÂ Add or Remove Programs.
- ClickÂ Add/Remove Windows Components.
- In theÂ Windows Components WizardÂ dialog box, if you are running at least Windows ServerÂ 2003, selectÂ Application Server, and then clickÂ Details.
- SelectÂ Internet Information Services (IIS)Â and then clickÂ Details.
- In theÂ Internet Information Services (IIS)Â dialog box, select theÂ File Transfer Protocol (FTP) ServiceÂ check box and clickÂ OK.
- In theÂ Windows Components WizardÂ dialog box, clickÂ Next. If prompted, insert your Windows CD.
When the installation process is finished, you can use the FTP service with IIS.