MySQL is a very fast, multi-user, multi-threaded and robust SQL (Structured Query Language) database server.
MySQL is an attractive alternative to higher-cost, more complex database technology. Its award-winning speed, scalability and reliability make it the right choice for corporate IT departments, Web developers and packaged software vendors.
MySQL Server was originally developed to handle large databases much faster than existing solutions and has been successfully used in highly demanding production environments for several years. Although under constant development, MySQL Server today offers a rich and useful set of functions. Its connectivity, speed, and security make MySQL Server highly suited for accessing databases on the Internet.
MySQL delivers enterprise features, including:
- Partitioning to improve performance and management of very large database environments
- Row-based/Hybrid Replication for improved replication security
- Event Scheduler to create and schedule jobs that perform various database tasks
- XPath Support
- Dynamic General/Slow Query Log
- Performance/Load Testing Utility (mysqlslap)
- Improved! Full Text Search (faster, new dev templates)
- Improved! Archive engine (better compression, more features)
- Improved! User session and problem SQL identification
- Improved! MySQL embedded library (libmysqld)
- Additional INFORMATION_SCHEMA objects
- Faster data import operations (parallel file load)
- ACID Transactions to build reliable and secure business critical applications
- Stored Procedures to improve developer productivity
- Triggers to enforce complex business rules at the database level
- Views to ensure sensitive information is not compromised
- Information Schema to provide easy access to metadata
- Pluggable Storage Engine Architecture for maximum flexibility
- Archive Storage Engine for historical and audit data