Notepad++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed byÂ GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing componentÂ Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
Notepad Plus Plus has some noticeable differences from WordPad. Support for tabs is key, letting users manage different documents simultaneously. Line-numbering is important, too, a feature that nobody mucking about in C should be without.
Key Features of Notepad++ 5.8.4:
- Fix memory leak problem while switching tab.
- Fix User Defined Language dialog docking problem under Windows 7.
- Fix backwards search with Asian codepage problem.
- Add a new capacity in context menu: the menu item and folder item can be renamed (and in whichever language).
- All the supported encoding charsets can be set as default in “New Document Settings”.
- Remove Calltip restriction from plugins side.
- Add “-alwaysOnTop” command line argument.
- Fix icon display glitch in shell extension context menu.