Notepad++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed byÂ GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing componentÂ Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on.
Notepad++ v5.8.6 fixed bugs (from v5.8.5):
- Fix langs.xml 0 length problem while user ends session without closing Notepad++.
- Fix empty line count failure (RegExpr).
- Fix task list display glitch under Windows 7.
- Add trim functions (header/trailing/compact feature).
- Add white space and TAB conversion features.
- Fix folding margin to be displayed when opening Notepad++ with a new/empty file (Normal text).
- Fix auto-completion detection language bug.
- Fix the changing theme settings makes switch back to the default theme bug.
- Make english.xml customizable