Skype offers several features, including SkypeOut calling from Skype to regular and mobile phones worldwide, conference calling, and secure file transferring. Skype calls have better sound quality than your regular phone and are highly secure, with end-to-end encryption.
Whats new in this version?
- Call and text friends from your Facebook News Feed and Phonebook.
- Group video beta: get together with loved ones and colleagues over video.
- Automatically recover dropped calls.
- New, easier to use design.
Additionally it doesn’t just work on Windows. Skype is also for Mac OS X, Linux and PDAs using Pocket PC, with a native look and feel for each platform. Talking, sending instant messages or even file transfers work between different platforms like a charm.
- Skype calling – Skype has all the features of an ordinary phone so it’s even easier to manage your calls.
- Video calling – see who you are talking to at the same time as speaking to them.
- Add Skype and SkypeOut contacts – Add contacts who use Skype and those who use ordinary phones so you can call more people.
- Organising groups – group contacts under certain names and share them with your contacts so they can talk to them too.
- Basic chat and emoticons – when it’s not convenient to call, chat or Instant Message (IM) your contacts.
- Group chat – for when it’s easier to chat or Instant Message (IM) all your friends at once.
- Profile settings – change how you appear to the world and let people know a bit about you.
- Conference calling – talk to more than one friend at a time.
- Import contacts – search your address book to find friends and family that already have a Skype name and start calling them for free.
- View Outlook contacts – view and call your Microsoft OutlookÂ® contacts quickly and directly from your Skype contact list.
- Quickfilter and Speed-Dial – find Skype contacts, recent chats and SkypeOut contacts quickly and easily, then enter their Skype name to call them back quickly.