TaskJuggler is a modern and powerful, Free and Open Source Software project management tool. Its new approach to project planing and tracking is more flexible and superior to the commonly used Gantt chart editing tools. It has already been successfully used in many projects and scales easily to projects with hundreds of resources and thousands of tasks.
TaskJuggler is project management software for serious project managers. It covers the complete spectrum of project management tasks from the first idea to the completion of the project. It assists you during project scoping, resource assignment, cost and revenue planing, risk and communication management.
TaskJuggler provides an optimizing scheduler that computes your project time lines and resource assignments based on the project outline and the constraints that you have provided. The built-in resource balancer and consistency checker offload you from having to worry about irrelevant details and ring the alarm if the project gets out of hand. The flexible “as many details as necessary”-approach allows you to still plan your project as you go, making it also ideal for new management strategies such as Extreme Programming and Agile Project Management.
If you are about to build a skyscraper or just want to put together your colleague’s shift plan for the next month, TaskJuggler is the right tool for you. If you just want to draw nice looking Gantt charts to impress your boss or your investors, TaskJuggler might not be right for you. It takes some effort to master its power, but it will become a companion you don’t want to miss anymore
Some of TaskJuggler’s main features:
* Automatic resource levelling, tasks conflict resolutions, and task filtering
* Built-in templates to get you started (you can also save your own schedules as templates for future use)
* Unlimited number of scenarios (baselines) of the same project for what-if analysis
* CSV data export for exchange with Office Suites
* Risk analysis
* Multiple time zone support
* Tasks may have initial costs, finishing costs
* HTML and XML report generation
* Powerful project description syntax with macro support
* Support for central resource allocation database
* Generation of iCal files for data exchange with standard productivity tools
If you are looking for an advanced Open Source project management program for Linux, at a good price (free), TaskJuggler may be it. It has various features that go beyond commonly used Gantt chart editing software. It provides support during all states of project management, starting with the first concept and ending with project completion.