Zope is an open sourceÂ application server for building content management systems, intranets, portals, and custom applications. TheÂ Zope community consists of hundreds of companies and thousands of developers all over the world, working on building the platform andÂ Zope applications.Zope is written in Python, a highly-productive, object-oriented scripting language.
It features a strongÂ through-the-web development model, allowing you to update yourÂ web site from anywhere in the world. To allow for this,Â Zope also features a tightly integrated security model.
Zopeâ€™s security architecture also allows you to turn control over parts of aÂ web site to other organizations or individuals. The transactional model applies not only to Zopeâ€™s object database, but to many relational database connectors as well, allowing for strong data integrity. This transaction model happens automatically, ensuring that all data is successfully stored in connected data sources by the time a response is returned to aÂ web browser or other client.
Zope can help you create dynamicÂ web applications such as portal and intranet sites quickly.Â Zopecomes with everything you need including support for membership, search, and news.
Its easy to use tools allow teams to productively and safely work together.Â Zope provides top-notch access to databases and other legacy data. Zopeâ€™s open support forÂ web standards such as XML-RPC, DOM, and WebDAV allows you unparalleled flexibility and interoperability.
Zope offers useful applications available for those who need something right away:
- TheÂ CMF (Content Management Framework) adds numerous tools and services toÂ Zope to allow community or organization basedÂ content management, complete with a workflow system and a powerful customization framework. The CMF Workflow system uses Zopeâ€™s built in security architecture. One thing this allows is for the â€œedit permissionâ€ to be taken away from an author who has submitted a document for review and publishing. This ensures that what the reviewer sees cannot change during or after review without the author intentionally taking back the document.
- Plone is a ready to use content management system that puts a polished interface on top of the CMF. With its own installers available, you can download Plone and have a community or organizationalÂ web site immediately whose content, such as news items, documentation, and events, is supplied by members of the organization. The organizations in question can range from a large internet community, large and small companies, and even church groups. Because itâ€™s built on the CMF, it delivers the same powerful set of tools mentioned above while augmenting behavior with helpful content entry forms and validation.
- Icoya is a retail, shrink wrapped content management system based on Plone. The structure of layers (Zope, CMF, Plone, Icoya) showcases the flexible power ofÂ Zope.
- Silva is aÂ web browser based publication system for creating publications for different media, includingÂ web and paper. Silva focuses on the authoring, versioning, and publishing of complex documents.
- Bizar Software offers a retail full-featured e-commerceÂ application built onÂ Zope. Complete with its own installers, Bizar Shop allows rapid development and maintenance of online store fronts. Bizar also offers hosted solutions for theirÂ application.
- Numerous tools are available in theÂ â€œHelper Productsâ€ area for developers to use to build even strongerÂ web sites, including form building and validation, LDAP connectivity, HTML converters, and more.